Date: 10 October 2018
Venue: MOD Abbey Wood, Bristol BS34 8JH
1. The Maritime Underwater Future Capability (MUFC) project has been established to assess future capability requirements and develop options to perform operations and tasks within the underwater environment when the current Astute Class Submarines leave service.
2. The MUFC project moved into Initial Concept Phase earlier in 2018 and, as part of this work, is seeking to expand its involvement with Industry, at all levels, in exploring new and potentially radical technological, operational and commercial solutions to the challenges facing the MOD. In the face of sometimes rapid technical, military and environmental changes, these challenges include, but are not limited to:
a) Exploitation of the underwater environment, including the challenges and opportunities of underwater detection and communication;
b) Improving availability, flexibility, affordability and supportability of capability solutions;
c) Optimising the time taken from concept phase through design and to manufacture of solution;
3. Although the current capability solutions are delivered by submarine platforms, no decisions have yet been taken on what the future capability requirements will be nor the solutions composition. The MUFC Project Team are keen to explore a wider set of potential solutions for example, alternative platforms and systems, including organic off-board sensors carried (hosted) by a manned submarine or surface ship, vehicles that are independent (autonomous) and/or deployed from manned surface and air platforms.
4. As well as these capability-based challenges, we are open to exploring different approaches to supplier engagement and supply chain sustainability, optimisation and capability. As part of this intent, the MUFC Project Team are hosting an Industry Day attended by senior personnel from the Defence Nuclear Organisation and Submarine Delivery Agency.
5. Expressions of interest in this event are now sought from companies wishing to attend. Attendees will be invited to consider in advance how you might be able to help meet these unique challenges and support the MUFC Project Team in delivering this capability solution, either differently and/or better than we have in the past. There may be the opportunity for further engagement following the Industry Day. Further details of this Industry Day are provided below.
The MUFC Industry Day will take place on 10 October 2018 from 0900 to 1300 (registration from 0830) in the Central Facilities Building Lecture Theatre at MOD Abbey Wood, Bristol, BS34 8JH.
Attendance is by application only and is subject to approval by the MOD. Further details on attendance will only be provided should applications be successful in securing a place at the event.
Applications to attend, including all detail as requested below, should be sent by email to
SDA-MUFC-Multiuser@mod.gov.uk as soon as possible and in any case no later than 16th September 2018. As part of the application process, interested parties must indicate (in no more than two paragraphs), what interest they have in assisting MUFC meet the challenges described above.
A maximum of two representatives will be allowed to attend per Company/Organisation.
Please nominate a lead representative (if you are requesting two places) as only the lead representative will be sent all correspondence from the Authority. This will include the issue of invitations should applications be successful, or declines if they are unsuccessful.
Applications must include the following for each representative:
Company/Organisation being represented:
– Full name of Company/Organisation (including specific Division/Site represented)
– Full address including Post Code of Company/Organisation
Representative(s) (maximum two):
- Legal Forenames
- Legal Surname
- Position or status within Company/Organisation
- Date of birth (DD/MM/YYYY)
- Place of birth (Town, Country)
- Nationality (including any dual Nationality)
- Other Nationality (if any – or state “N/A”)
- Full address including Post Code of representative
- Office Telephone number
- Office Mobile Telephone number
- Office Email address
- Indicate whether individual has a current UK Security Clearance Yes/No
(NOTE: Not having a current Security Clearance does not necessarily mean an application will not be accepted)
- Security Clearance Level and Issuing Authority
- Security Clearance Expiry date (DD/MM/YY)
- Security Clearance reference number
Confirmation of attendance
As stated above, confirmation of success (or otherwise) of applications will be sent only to the lead representative for the Company/Organisation concerned. Those who are successful, will receive specific invitation(s) and further details regarding attendance at the event.
Interested parties should note that participation in this Industry Event is entirely voluntary and the Authority will not bear any associated costs. There is no commitment on the part of the Authority to enter any binding contractual arrangement following engagement with interested parties through the Industry Event. Neither attendance, nor submission of responses to the Authority will be taken into consideration in any future Procurement and/or competitive tendering exercises.
Any questions related to the above should be directed by email to SDA-MUFC-Multiuser@mod.gov.uk or by contacting the MUFC Commercial team (Danny Williams and Dave Brookes) on 0044 (0) 7920 561550.